Thursday, November 20, 2014

Missing Steps - Goal Setting

After my Humble Realizations post a few days back, I felt kind of empty and like I was really missing something about this whole process.


This morning I was up at 5AM.  Coincidentally, so was my 1 year old so after she was back to sleep, I vigourously walked the stairs to my basement until my legs burned and my heart raced.  That only took about 5 minutes, if that.  Getting fit is a goal but it is also a process.

Then I started searching for a goal setting process - something I can really sink my teeth into.  I found Robin Sharma's Weekly Design System, printed it and went about a few household chores to satisfy a need for accomplishment so early in the morning.

Then I went back to researching some tangible things I can do to get my wheels turning.  I found Robin Sharma on How To Make This New Year Your Best Year Yet video.  I paused it and ran downstairs to get a notebook.  I really wanted to put ink to paper.  I had read an article that has surfaced from a Google search called Goal Setting - The Why and the How and very clearly that states that "3% of Harvard MBAs Make Ten Times as Much as the Other 97% Combined" because "3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them".

And I am not so concerned about them being Harvard students or Masters students.  What is important to me is the statistic that carries over to anybody and everybody.

So I have my notebook in front of me and my YouTube video playing, with a finger close to the space bar to pause the video when I need to catch up with the note taking.

So I started taking notes on everything Robin Sharma says, even though it's in the article about goal setting that I read, I wanted to write it down for myself.  That is how I absorb it better.  Writing is more effective for me than reading.

1.  Celebrate - I started making note of all the questions I am to ask myself.  Then I started thinking about the answers to those questions.  I paused the video and flipped a page in my notebook and within 2 minutes had written 12 things that came so fast.  Robin Sharma says ACT when you have a thought, so I did that because it came so naturally.

Back to the video and making more notes.  Once the video was finished, I hoped over to this blog post and started writing.  I am inspired.  I feel like now I can plan.

As I am nearing the time my children get up in the morning, I have on my Weekly Design System to get back to this goal setting process tomorrow morning as part of my planning and learning for the day.

I am excited!  I hope this boost of energy will help you get traction!


No comments:

Post a Comment