Thursday, November 6, 2014

Early Morning Musings

I did it!  Day 1 of the 5AM club.  And this is how it came about.  

This recount of what happened in our house last night may seem unsupportive and insensitive but it is not, as a matter of fact, my husband and I know each other so well, we know what to say to challenge the other.  Here is what I mean.

Last evening, my husband mentioned that he is struggling to lose weight.  I quickly asked him if I could give my opinion.  After a quick nod of approval, I told him it's because he isn't doing anything to lose weight.  Managing his eating is not enough and he has to get physical.  Then I said, "If you wanted it bad enough, you would do it".  

Fast forward to after my children were in bed and my husband and I were sitting in the livingroom, watching a bit of TV and I mentioned something about getting up at 5AM (like I do every night).  Throwing my own words back at me, he said, "If you really wanted it bad enough, you would do it".  

Sometimes we like to give advice but we need to really hear our own advice in context to our goals and aspirations.  This is what his words were to me.  He was right.  And I was challenged from that moment.  I had blogged about wanting this change and transformation really bad but yet I hadn't done anything to bring about the change, except read part of one book.

So this morning, I hopped out of bed as soon as my alarm went off.  I don't feel tired or groggy.   I feel exhilarated, energized and excited.  Accomplishing a goal does that to a person.

Sitting in my livingroom, post Pilates workout reading with the light on and darkness all around, inside and outside, I felt like I was the only one awake.

I write this to you because I want to challenge you.  If you really want to make a positive change in your life, or something isn't working for you, WANT the change really bad and work towards doing it.  

Write a micro-list of things you can do to make the change.  When I say micro-list, I mean break everything down to a detail because as Robin Sharma says in "Leader Who Had No Title", if you can accomplish 5 mini-goals a day, that is 150 goals per month and over 2,000 goals per year.  That is astonishing and can only bring about positive change.

Albert Einstein said it best, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

No comments:

Post a Comment